Thursday, December 9, 2010

" I Can't Believe There Is No Butter"......Ginger Snap Cookies Revisited

This was one of my first posts when I started my blog back in March of this year. I thought it would be fitting to revisit the recipe as we're coming to the end of the year. I hope the recipe also comes in handy for the baking frenzy ahead, as we prepare sweets for the coming holiday season.


If you are searching for a healthy alternative to butter based cookies, I have the ideal recipe for you. This one comes from The Yellowstone Country B&B in Montana. You can munch on these guilt free, as they contain no butter but still remain ever so rich in flavor.










Ginger Snap Cookies
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
3/4 cup oil (not olive oil)
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
turbinado sugar or granulated sugar (for coating)

In a mixing bowl whisk together your egg, oil, molasses and brown sugar. Mix the dry ingredients (in a separate bowl) then gradually blend in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon. Do not overwork the dough. Form dough into 1 inch balls, flatten slightly, then roll into the sugar. I use turbinado sugar, for extra crunch and it looks pretty. Place (well spaced) on a cookie tray & bake in a preheated 375 degree F. oven for 10-12 minutes.
Yields approx. 2 dozen large cookies

10 comments:

  1. Excellent! I love ginger snaps and yours look professionally baked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie. These are one of my husbands favourite cookies and so easy to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful recipe to revisit - it's perfect for this time of year. I have one from when I started posting that i'd also like to revisit.
    Wait... I just reread this. NO Butter? That's awesome! now I HAVE to make these. Even better, I have all the ingredients at home to make them right now. Thank you so much Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roxan, that's why I love this recipe, the oil replaces the the shortening or butter,used in most ginger snap cookie recipes. They have amazing crackle and flavour. My sister-in-law recently made them for a function, and apparently they were a big success with requests for the recipe. I do hope you give them a try. Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious but one question: Why not olive oil?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found what I was looking for! Awesome recipe but there is only one problem.... I can not stop eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made them and they already taste excellent! (They're still very hot, but I cannot seem to stop myself from eating them :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is the BEST snap recipe ever. these cookies are our go-to fall/winter treat. I used peanut oil and a couple of grinds of fresh black pepper for even more snap. try it.....you won't regret it

    ReplyDelete