Sunday, May 30, 2010

Donut Muffins

I discovered this recipe on the Food Network "Community" site. The photo submitted by one of the members looked so appetizing; that I couldn't resist making these "donut muffins'. The results are quite surprising, as you can see from my own photo above! The trick is to use mini muffin trays instead of the traditional size muffin trays. So watch out Tim Horton; you are about have some stiff competition with these baked goodies that are under the no fry zone. Much healthier version for you but with all the addictive flavors of tiny 'Timbits'. Only two small changes to the original recipe; I substituted the margarine for the natural and rich flavor of butter and doubled the recipe. The recipe makes makes 36 donut bits (mini muffins)

Ingredients

  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 11/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2teaspoon baking powder
  • 2cups all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 36 mini-muffin cups.
  2. Mix 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir in the milk, then mix in the baking powder and flour until just combined. Fill the prepared mini muffin cups about 3/4 full.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the tops are lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
  4. While muffins are baking, place 1/2 cup of melted butter in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together 1 cup of sugar with the cinnamon. Remove the muffins and dip each muffin in the melted butter, and roll in the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Let cool and serve.

4 comments:

  1. Genevieve, I know, I won't even tell you how many I munched on; as I was rolling them in the cinnamon sugar. A great copy cat recipe. They are truly addictive. Hope you find the time to make them;maybe when the little one is down for a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe I can just come over and you can make them for me, and while I stuff my face, you can watch the baby!

    ReplyDelete